This is the Multiple Choice Questions in Chapter 25: Fiber-Optic Systems from the book Electronic Communication Systems by Roy Blake. If you are looking for a reviewer in Communications Engineering this will definitely help. I can assure you that this will be a great help in reviewing the book in preparation for your Board Exam. Make sure to familiarize each and every questions to increase the chance of passing the ECE Board Exam.
Start Practice Exam Test Questions
Choose the letter of the best answer in each questions.
1. FDDI stands for:
- a. Fiber Digital Data Interface
- b. Fiber Distributed Data Interface
- c. Fiber Distribution Delay Interface
- d. Frequency-Division Data Interface
2. FITL stands for:
- a. Fiber In The Loop
- b. Fiber Input Timing Loss
- c. Frequency Input to The Loop
- d. Fiber Input Timing Loop
3. FTTC stands for:
- a. Fiber Transmission Timing Constraint
- b. Fiber Transmission Technology Committee
- c. Fiber Telephone Transmission Cable
- d. Fiber To The Curb
4. SONET stands for:
- a. Simple Optical Network
- b. Standard Optical Network
- c. Synchronous Optical Network
- d. none of the above
5. DWDM stands for:
- a. Digital Wavelength-Division Modulation
- b. Dense Wavelength-Division Modulation
- c. Double Wavelength-Division Modulation
- d. Dense Wavelength-Division Multiplexing
6. A Soliton is a:
- a. defect in the glass
- b. type of particle
- c. type of pulse
- d. type of optical network
7. Adding bits to synchronize one digital signal to another is called:
- a. bit stuffing
- b. bit-synch
- c. SDH
- d. WDM
8. Power above the minimum required by an optical receiver is called:
- a. gain margin
- b. system margin
- c. excess gain
- d. overdrive
9. Typically, repeaters are not required for fiber-optic cable lengths up to:
- a. 1000 miles
- b. 100 miles
- c. 100 km
- d. 10 km
10. In SONET, OC-1 stands for:
- a. Optical Carrier level one
- b. Optical Coupler unidirectional
- c. Optical Channel one
- d. Optical Cable type 1
11. In SONET, STS stands for:
- a. Synchronous Transport Signal
- b. Synchronous Transport System
- c. Synchronous Transmission Signal
- d. Synchronous Transmission System
12. A commonly used fiber-based system for LANs is:
- a. FDDI
- b. high-speed Ethernet
- c. gigabit Ethernet
- d. all of the above
13. The use of solitons on fiber-optic cables is:
- a. common
- b. experimental
- c. obsolete
- d. not possible
14. OTDR stands for:
- a. Optical Time-Delay Response
- b. Optical Timing Delay Requirement
- c. Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer
- d. Optical Time-Division Relay
15. Using fiber-optic cable in a telephone system except for the connection to the subscriber’s phone is called:
- a. FDDI
- b. FTTC
- c. FITL
- d. SONET
1. FTTC stands for Fiber To The ____________________.
2. FITL stands for Fiber In The ____________________.
3. SDH stands for Synchronous Data ____________________.
4. WDM stands for ____________________-division multiplexing.
5. SONET stands for ____________________ Optical Network.
6. FDDI stands for Fiber ____________________ Data Interface.
7. Optical amplifiers use ____________________-doped glass.
8. Optical amplifiers use a ____________________ laser.
9. Dense ____________________ allows many different wavelengths of light to share a cable.
10. The OC-1 line rate is ____________________ Mbps.
11. SONET does not use bit ____________________ to synchronize two digital signals.
12. SONET uses a ____________________ to denote the starting position of an information frame.
13. FDDI systems use two ____________________ rings to carry signals.
14. The two rings of an FDDI system carry data in ____________________ directions.
15. Each ____________________ in an FDDI system acts as a regenerative repeater.
16. FDDI uses ____________________ mode cables.
17. The data rate of an FDDI system is ____________________ bps.
ANS: 100 M
18. SONET frames have considerably more ____________________ than do DS frames for information about signal routing and setup.
19. The number of bytes in a SONET frame is ____________________.
20. The number of bytes in the payload of a SONET frame is ____________________.
21. The number of rows in a SONET frame is ____________________.
22. The total number of overhead bytes in a SONET frame row is ____________________.
23. The number of path overhead bytes in a SONET frame row is ____________________.
24. SONET frame rows contain path overhead and ____________________ overhead.
25. In SONET, SPE stands for synchronous payload ____________________.
1. What is the bandwidth of a first-order LPF with a rise time of 350 nanoseconds?
2. Calculate the total rise time for a fiber-optic system if the transmitter, receiver, and cable each have a rise time of 50 nanoseconds.