(Last Updated On: February 9, 2020)
This is the Self-test in Chapter 8: Multiplexing from the book COMMUNICATIONS ELECTRONICS by Louis E. Frenzel. If you are looking for a reviewer in Communications Engineering this will definitely help. I can assure you that this will be a great help in reviewing the book in preparation for your Board Exam. Make sure to familiarize each and every questions to increase the chance of passing the ECE Board Exam.
Start Practice Exam Test Questions
Direction: Either Supply the missing word(s) in each statement or Choose the letter that best answers each question.
1. Which statement is most correct?
- a. Multiplexing uses multiple channels to transmit multiple signals.
- b. Multiplexing uses multiple channels to transmit individual signals.
- c. Multiplexing uses a single channel to transmit multiple signals.
- d. Multiplexing uses a single channel to transmit a single signal.
2. Two common applications of multiplexing are _____.
3. The primary benefit of multiplexing is _____.
4. When multiplexing is used to transmit information, then a _____ must be used at the receiving end of the communications link.
5. The two types of multiplexing are _____.
6. In FDM, multiple signals share a common channel _____.
7. The multiple signals in an FDM system are used to modulate separate _____.
8. To combine the, multiple signals in FDM, a _____ is used.
9. The composite multiplex signal is normally used to _____ an RF carrier before being transmitted.
10. Most telemetry multiplex systems used_____ modulation.
11. Telemetry signals are first conditioned by _____ and/or _____ before modulating a sub carrier.
12. Telemetry signals typically frequency modulate a _____.
13. The key circuit in a demultiplexer is a(n) _____.
14. The best demodulator for telemetry work is the _____ discriminator.
15. In FDM telephone systems, _____ modulation is used.
16. The monaural signal in FM stereo multiplex is designated _____.
17. The four signals transmitted in FM stereo multiplex are _____.
18. The type of modulation used on the L – R channel is _____.
19. The SCA signals use _____ modulation.
20. In TDM, multiple signals share a channel by transmitting in different _____.
21. The process of sampling an analog signal at a high rate of speed is called _____.
22. The minimum sampling rate for a signal with a 7-kHz bandwidth this _____ kHz.
23. The basic switching element in a PAM multiplexer is a _____.
24. The name of the circuit used to recreate the clock pulses at the receiver in a PAM system is called a _____.
25. The multiplexer and demultiplexer are kept in step with one another by a(n) _____.
26. The time period during which all channels are sampled once is called a(n) _____.
27. A PAM signal is demodulated with a(n) _____.
28. A multiplexer is an electronic multi position _____.
29. The circuit that samples an analog signal in a PAM system is called a(n) _____.
30. In a PAM/FM system, the RF carrier modulation is _____.
31. A clock recovery circuit that tracks PAM frequency variations uses a(n) _____.
32. In PCM systems, analog signals are transmitted as _____.
33. Quantizer is another name for a(n) _____.
34. The standard audio sampling rate in a PCM telephone system is _____ kHz.
35. The standard word size in a PCM audio system is _____ bits.
36. The name of a widely used PCM telephone system is _____.
37. The process of emphasizing lower-level signals and de-emphasizing, higher-level signals is called _____.
38. An LSI circuit containing an ADC, DAC, compander, expander, and serial/parallel converters is called a(n) _____.
39. The main benefit of PCM over PAM, FM, and other modulation techniques is its immunity to _____.
40. A T-1 multiplexer has _____ and a total bit rate of _____ channels MHz.